Open Enrollment is that time of the year when University of California employees have the opportunity to review and make changes to their benefits. It’s a good time to consider any potential changes to their personal situation and plan ahead for significant medical needs.
Open enrollment began on Oct. 29 and goes until 5 p.m. on Nov. 24. For 2016, UC is not making any changes to its medical plans. All existing plans will be available next year, with a few benefits enhancements.
For 2016, many employees will see less than a $6 monthly premium increase and some will even see a decrease in their premiums for 2016. (Premiums depend on specific health plan selections and employee salary bands.) Employee medical plan rates can be found here.
Medical Plan Enhancements
- Travel immunizations: For those who travel, all plans in 2016 will cover immunizations needed for travel. Check with your plan or the Open Enrollment website for the coverage your plan will offer
- Smoking Cessation: Health Net Blue & Gold will add the "Quit for Life" telephonic behavioral coaching program, in addition to its current online program
- Omada Prevent program: Health Net Blue & Gold will expand the Omada Prevent program for people with pre-diabetes to support those who are at risk for heart disease
- Oncology Practice of the Future: Blue Shield Health Savings Plan and Core will add "Oncology Practice of the Future," a program designed to ensure comprehensive cancer care for its members
- Applied Behavioral Health: Core will add coverage for applied behavioral health services to support autism care
- Ambulatory Surgery Centers: UC Care will add more Ambulatory Surgery Center providers in its UC Select tier with a $100 co-pay
- UC Care Select Tier provider additions Northern California/Bay Area: John Muir Medical Center – Walnut Creek and Concord; John Muir Physician Network (only those providers with a Blue Shield PPO contract – be sure to check before scheduling an appointment)
Other Important Changes for 2016
- Wellness: UC Living Well (systemwide wellness initiative) will continue, along with local wellness programs. The Wellness coaching and $75 incentive earned through Optum Wellness will not be available in 2016
- Legal Plan: Open for enrollment in 2016; expanded identity theft protection coverage
- Flexible Spending Accounts: Health FSA maximum contribution for 2016 has been increased by $50 to $2,550.
**Remember, you must re-enroll annually in both the Health FSA and the Dependent Care FSA to participate**
Open Enrollment Resources
Make benefits changes beginning Oct. 30, log into https://atyourserviceonline.ucop.edu/ayso/ and click on the Open Enrollment box.
Postdoctoral scholars should visit the Garnett-Powers & Associates website for information on Open Enrollment. This Open Enrollment does not apply to residents and clinical fellows.
For more campus news and resources, visit Pulse of UCSF.