University, state and local officials, philanthropists and community leaders will announce a multi-million dollar gift from The Eli and Edythe Broad Foundation to the Institute for Regeneration Medicine at UCSF.
- Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger
- San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom
- California Institute for Regeneration Medicine Chair Robert Klein
- Philanthropists Eli and Edythe Broad
- UCSF Chancellor J. Michael Bishop, MD
- Acting-Dean of UCSF School of Medicine Sam Hawgood, MBBS
- Director of the UCSF stem cell program Arnold Kriegstein, MD, PhD
- Chair of the UC Regents Richard Blum
- UC President Mark Yudof
WHEN: Wednesday, December 17, 2008
- 10:30 a.m. – Media check in
- 10:45 a.m. – Media tour of UCSF Human Embryonic Stem Cell Center—with Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger (designated pool media only)
- 11:00 a.m. – News conference (all media)
- 11:30 a.m. – Interviews, b-roll and tours of stem cell lab and construction site: (all media)
- Interview and photo opportunities with elected and university officials, Eli Broad and stem cell researchers.
- Media tours of the UCSF Human Embryonic Stem Cell Center and of construction site of headquarters for UCSF stem cell program. Visuals include lapse video microscopy of human blastocysts dividing, shown on a large Mac screen beside the microscope that generated them. Scientists in white coats working on cells in specially designate rooms.
513 Parnassus Avenue, Saunders Court, UCSF campus, San Francisco
Enter Medical Sciences building, walk through corridor and up one flight of stairs to Saunders Court.
- Public garage—Media in standard-sized vehicles should park in the public garage across the street from the Medical Sciences Building. Garage entry is between 400 and 500 Parnassus Ave., on the north side of the street. Keep in mind that navigating within the garage can take time. News Staff will reimburse with parking stickers at the event.
- On street parking—There will be limited reserved parking for large media van/trucks on the north side of the street in front of 500 Parnassus Ave.