A female student was sexually assaulted near the east entrance gate outside the UCSF Mission Bay housing complex located at 1560 3rd St., according to UCSF police.
The assault reportedly occurred at about 12:50 a.m.
The victim was riding on the Muni Light Rail T-Third Line when she exited at the UCSF Mission Bay Station located at 3rd Street and Gene Friend Way. She noticed a male also exit at that station and reported that he followed her to the east side Mission Bay housing complex gate, where the assault occurred.
The suspect is described as a Hispanic male, approximately 30 years old, 5 feet 6 inches to 5 feet 8 inches tall, with a thin build and wearing a blue jacket.
UCSF police are asking anyone with information regarding this incident to contact the UCSF Police Department Investigations Unit at 415/476-6890.
Crime Prevention Tips:
* Travel in groups whenever possible, especially at night.
* Avoid poorly-lit or deserted areas when walking at night.
* Make use of the shuttle and escort services.
* Stay alert to your surroundings. Avoid headphone use when walking alone.
* Do not stop in response to conversation starters (i.e. asking for time or directions).
* If you feel you are being followed, go into an open business and ask for help.
* Keep emergency numbers pre-programmed into your cell phone (911, 476-1414).
* If you are faced with demands for your money or property, especially from an armed subject, comply with their demands for the sake of your safety.