Nancy Milliken, MD -----
WHAT: Sixth Annual Young Women’s Health Conference—Co-sponsored by State Senator Jackie Speier and the UCSF National Center of Excellence in Women’s Health.
This year’s theme is “Beyond Looks, Beyond Words: Stand Up, Stand Out!”
The nation’s only event designed by and for teenage girls, the conference includes workshops and exhibits focused on important issues facing youths today.
Media are invited to cover or arrange interviews in advance.
Over 1,400 teens will participate to learn about the resources in their community and to make wise decisions about their health, well-being and future endeavors. A highlight of the event is an open microphone session in which participants take the stage to speak their minds to an audience of their peers through performance, spoken word and poetry.
WHEN: Thursday, March 9 - 8:45 a.m. to 3:15 p.m.
WHERE: Bill Graham Civic Auditorium
99 Grove Street, San Francisco
WHO: Featured speakers include:
Morning Session: 9-10:15 a.m.
* California State Senator Jackie Speier
* Nancy Milliken, MD, director of the UCSF National Center of Excellence in Women’s Health
* Youth Steering Committee members, teen event planners
* Bertice Berry, PhD, sociologist, author, educator
Lunch Session: 11:50 a.m. to 1:05 p.m.
* Mayor Gavin Newsom
* Francine Ward, lawyer and author
Afternoon Session: 2:25 to 3:15 p.m.
* Lateefah Simon, director of reentry programs, Office of District Attorney Kamala Harris
CONTACT: Media interested in the conference or arranging interviews should contact Nancy Chan at (415) 885-7277. For more information, visit
Women’s Health Conference