A UCSF patient was robbed of her cell phone at the UCSF bus stop on 4th Street adjacent to the Koret Quad on March 16 at about 1:30 p.m., according to UCSF Police.
Immediately following the robbery, the suspect was detained by a group of good Samaritans. The suspect was subsequently identified by the victim and arrested by police.
The UCSF Police Department is currently investigating this incident. Anyone with additional information is encouraged to contact UCSF PD at 415/476-1414. Employees, staff, and students are asked to report any suspicious persons or circumstances to UCSF PD immediately and to dial 9-911 in the case of an emergency.
Personal Safety Tips:
Suspects look for crimes of opportunity and certain personal safety measures can be followed to minimize your chances of becoming a victim. These are:
- Do not leave doors to buildings propped open.
- Prevent tailgating by closing all doors and gates behind you when entering or leaving.
- Be vigilant of suspicious persons. Call UCSF PD if a suspicious person is seen loitering on campus.
- Travel in groups whenever possible, especially at night.
- Avoid poorly-lit or deserted areas when walking at night.
- Make use of the shuttle and escort services.
- Stay alert to your surroundings; avoid headphone and cell phone use when walking or waiting alone.
- Do not stop in response to conversation starters (i.e. asking for time or directions).
- If you are walking to your car, keep your car keys easily accessible, preferably in your hand.
- If you feel you are being followed, go into an open business and ask for help.
- Keep emergency numbers pre-programmed into your cell phone.
- If you are faced with demands for your money or property, especially from an armed subject, comply with their demands in the interest of your safety.
Help fight crime by reporting suspicious activity to UCSF PD immediately. For emergency or in-progress events, dial 9-911 when using on-campus land lines and 415/476-6911 when using cell phones. For non-emergency calls, please dial 415/476-1414.