A UCSF employee was assaulted on 16th and Mission streets as she was walking near the BART Station on Aug. 31 at about 8:28 p.m., UCSF police report.
The employee accidentally bumped into one of four subjects standing in the area, and was subsequently accosted. One of the subjects physically struck the employee on the left side of her jaw, while the group yelled obscenities.
The employee proceeded to enter the BART Station and the subjects did not follow. No weapons were seen or used during the attack.
The four subjects were all African-American women approximately 30 years of age. The suspect that struck the employee is described as short and thin African-American female, wearing dark jeans and boots, with missing front teeth and a scar on her upper lip.
Anyone with information regarding this incident is encouraged to contact the UCSF Police Department at 415/476-1414.
The UCSF Police Department would like to remind employees who frequent the BART Station at 16th and Mission streets to be mindful and cautious of their surroundings while commuting to and from work. Employees are reminded to employ the following:
Personal Safety Tips
Suspects look for crimes of opportunity and certain personal safety measures can be followed to minimize your chances of becoming a victim. These are:
- Travel in groups whenever possible, especially at night.
- Avoid poorly-lit or deserted areas when walking at night.
- Make use of the shuttle and escort services.
- Stay alert to your surroundings. Avoid headphone and cell phone use when walking alone.
- Do not stop in response to conversation starters (i.e. asking for time or directions.
- If you feel you are being followed, go into an open business and ask for help.
- Keep emergency numbers pre-programmed into your cell phone.
- If you are faced with demands for your money or property, especially from an armed subject, comply with their demands for the sake of your safety.
Help fight crime by reporting suspicious activity to UCSF Police Department immediately. For emergency or in-progress events, call 9-911 when using on-campus land lines and 415/476-6911 when using cell phones. For non-emergencies, please call 415/476-1414.