NCIRE-The Veterans Health Research Institute has announced the release of “Welcome Home: Support from the Ground Up,” a DVD resource guide for returning service members, Veterans, their families, and their loved ones.
The DVD, produced for NCIRE by Ann Fox, consists of five chapters:
• Veterans Stories – Veterans discuss their combat experiences and the challenges of readjusting to life at home
• Research – Researchers from NCIRE and the San Francisco VA Medical Center answer questions about post-traumatic stress, readjustment, and other issues of importance to Veterans, their families, and their loved ones
• Resources – Veterans give helpful advice on resources and services designed for Veterans, returning service members, and their families
• Welcome Home – A montage of heartfelt “Welcome Home!” greetings from a wide variety of Bay Area community members, plus vignettes from the Academy of Art University
• Links – A menu of links to online resources
“Welcome Home: Support from the Ground Up” will be distributed to VA hospitals and clinics, Veterans service organizations, Vet Centers, colleges and universities, and other groups and organizations serving Veterans and returning service members.
The DVD was created as the result of a collaborative effort between clinicians, researchers, uniformed service members, Blue Star Mothers of America, Veterans service organizations, and individual Veterans of Vietnam, Iraq, and Afghanistan.
“We are proud to make this resource available to the men and women who have given so much to their country, and to those who care for them,” said NCIRE Executive Director Robert E. Obana. “Our hope is that it puts a compelling face on the critical role that a community of care represents in advancing the health of our Veterans of today and tomorrow.”
NCIRE-The Veterans Health Research Institute - is the leading private nonprofit medical research institute devoted to Veterans health in the United States. In association with the San Francisco Veterans Affairs Medical Center, NCIRE’s mission is to advance Veterans health through research. For more information about NCIRE or the “Welcome Home” project, please contact Ms. Robin Morjikian at firstname.lastname@example.org, or go to http://www.ncire.org.