The Parnassus Campus
Established in 1898 on land donated by San Francisco Mayor Adolph Sutro, the Parnassus campus has been an integral part of the history of health sciences and San Francisco. In 1906, physicians and nurses responded quickly to treat the scores of people injured in the great San Francisco earthquake.
Home to a network of comprehensive patient care services, research institutes, educational facilities and the offices of deans and the chancellor, the Parnassus campus serves an active community.
The Parnassus campus is continuing to thrive, with the 2011 openings of the Ray and Dagmar Dolby Regeneration Medicine Building, headquarters of the Eli and Edythe Broad Center of Regeneration Medicine and Stem Cell Research at UCSF, and the new Teaching and Learning Center located in the Kalmanovitz Library.
The Parnassus campus is one of the two main patient care sites of UCSF Medical Center and UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital, both ranked among the top hospitals in the nation, according to US News & World Report.
From the work of Nobel laureates to life-saving discoveries, UCSF’s internationally renowned research has flourished in the labs of its Parnassus campus. Researchers from all UCSF schools — dentistry, medicine, nursing and pharmacy — have contributed to the University’s status as one of the world’s leading health sciences research institutions.